Style on a Budget
While most of us would love to have Carrie Bradshaw’s walk-in wardrobe, the reality is not everyone has access to an unlimited wad of cash, nor the wardrobe space. With the world of fashion constantly changing, most just wouldn’t know where to begin. And so, more often than not, our best option is to make the most of our current wardrobe until we are ready for some serious retail therapy. Even with life’s conflicting priorities and personal responsibilities, our ultimate wardrobe may still be out of reach.
Our natural instinct is to sometimes just ‘shop’ to fill the gap in our wardrobe. Whether you shop at Target or have a taste for haute couture, anyone can look stylish on a budget. And let’s be frank, not everyone can afford the luxe tag price every season.
So in the interim, here are some tips to make the most of creating a winning wardrobe without busting the bank and giving your plastic card a workout.
• Shop from your closet: Re-visit old favourites or something you haven’t worn or paid much attention to in a while. Try them on and mix it with your new favourites, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
• Get Creative: Changing buttons can transform an old jacket in a flash. Even dyeing an old top can give it a new lease of life.
• Accessorise: By adding a scarf, a brooch or stacking up on your bangles or strings of necklaces, a drab outfit can be given the ‘WOW’ factor.
• Trash n’ Treasure: Shop at flea markets or do a clothing ‘swap’ with your girlfriends – one person’s trash is another woman’s treasure.
• High & low: if you are lucky enough to have some designer pieces, mix it with high street pieces so you are not a walking designer billboard. Punctuate your style with some personal pieces.
• Cover up: a suit jacket can quickly spruce up a simple outfit and will give it a polished look.
• If the shoe fits: If you have a favourite pair of shoes that still look fantastic, why not add some accessories, which you can purchase online or make yourself.
• Cut it out: If you have an old pair of jeans that you just can’t bear to throw out, why not turn them into shorts. Denim is a classic look and you’ll still get a wear a for a couple of seasons.
• Be neat: There’s something to neat and filed nails, good skin and healthy glow that completes an outfit. Good personal hygiene is a must and non-negotiable.
Command respect and get ready to turn heads and empower your style. Make the most of what you have and get creative.